Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

HH Review - All Quiet on the Western Plains by Isabella Hargreaves



Title: All Quiet on the Western Plains
Author: Isabella Hargreaves
Publisher: Steam eReads
Language: English




 
This novella is written in the third person, not a style I’ve read for a while. Perhaps I am more used to the immediacy of writing in the second person, but although I found All Quiet on the Western Plains to be a very interesting book, it reads like the narration of a string of events. However, top marks to Ms Hargreaves for writing in a style which is typical of that era. The research of post trauma distress order after World War One is flawless as far as it goes. I’d like to see the author dig deeper.

I don’t wish to sound as if I didn’t enjoy the book. I did. But it is written in a hands-off style so that a reader cannot be invested in the hero and heroine. This novella would shine after editing by a professional.

It is refreshing to read about the Australian aftermath of WWI, since it is not a topic tackled by many in the romance genre.


Countess of Jersey

No comments: