Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Historical Hearts Launch Party - Day 5



Hi! I’m Bronwyn Stuart and I write Regency Romance. I first started writing about 7 years ago when I read a particularly unsatisfying historical romance one night when working the night shift at a security company. Like so many others, I thought, I can do this better! If they bought this romance and it’s crap, surely I can write one that will be ten times better and sell it. Boy was I wrong. But that’s a story for another time. Today I want to share with you why I write Regency romance when there are so many other time periods and genres out there in the big wide world of fiction.

I can’t remember the first book I read. There were so many. I do remember the first one that really made my brain tick. I’m not sure if it was the horror or the way the book was written and now I can’t even remember the title but it was the book that the movie The Village of the Damned was based on. You know the one with a younger Nicole Kidman? Where all the people in the town fall asleep and can’t recall whole hours. Then all the women get pregnant and have babies with crazy hair and eyes that can do strange things with strange powers. I loved that book! I’m not sure if I read it now what I would think but back when I was 14 I thought it was the bomb! The first historical author I fell in love with was Candace Camp. I loved Stephanie Laurens and Johanna Lindsey too but the author I went out of my way to find was Candace Camp (maybe it was because mum already had all the others). I really enjoyed her humour and her characters.

I got off track (big surprise there). What got me started with Regency wasn’t the world itself or any one book. It’s what you could do with that world. You have everything from chimney sweeps and mudlarks to princes, princesses and kings. And you can pretty much have any level of emotion. Eloisa James makes me laugh like no other author but it’s Anna Campbell who really draws me into her dark, emotional, meaty stories. So I decided to write that. They say ‘write what you know’. I didn’t live in the 1800’s. I don’t know what it’s like to wear three petticoats, a heavy gown, two coats, gloves, hats, and all the other accoutrements of the era but I’ve read enough to get a good idea. I have a good imagination and so I use it. That’s it. I’d like to say it’s simple but this is the hardest thing I’ve ever done (and I have two kids) but I love it. If I didn’t love it, I wouldn’t do it. I also dabble in the occasional contemporary but it’s always the Regency world I come back to. It’s like I’m drawn there over and over and over. Even my reading pile has more historical than any other genre. It’s hard to explain in words but there it is.

So what do you love? I don’t want to know the first book you read (most people lie about that anyway. Mine was probably The Little Engine Who Could.) I want to know the first author who really struck a chord in you. Do you write like them or in the genre they do? But the first prize winner is going to be the first one to give me the name and author of the village of the damned book (I don’t think it’s called that) and not a movie book but the original one and a link either to Kindle or Book depository so I can buy it =) The first one to go to all that effort gets a contest critique of 3 chapters up to 30 pages. If you don’t want the critique, just leave me a comment with your favourite chord striking author and I’ll pop your name in a hat and get one of my kids to draw a winner. You’ll get a copy of Candace Camp’s Scandalous.

Thanks for coming by today and stay tuned for more historical tid-bits that delight us, and we hope, you too.

Good Luck!
Bronwyn.




It's the last day of the Historical Hearts blog launch but the fun isn't over yet!

I'm Cheryl Leigh and I love all historical periods, especially the eighteenth century, which is where I set my as-yet-unpublished historical adventure romances. With a background in interior design, it's no wonder I'm drawn to the elegance of the Georgian era. Ah, the symmetry of Georgian buildings, exquisitely carved furniture, rich fabrics, gowns - oh, the gowns! - landscaped gardens, masked balls, music, art, literature, and, of course, men in breeches. *grin*

The Georgian period was not all beauty and glittering ballrooms. Crime, drunkenness and gambling abounded. Fewer strictures gave men and women the opportunity for liaisons with less censure from society. Though a decadent age, it was also a time of enlightenment as well as revolutions - agricultural, industrial and political. All great fodder for historical authors!

In the coming weeks, I'll be sharing snippets of history - Georgian and more - from my travels. To celebrate our blog launch, I'm giving one randomly picked commenter a box of note cards, embellished with fabulous shoes, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and stored in a cute shoebox, together with a small note pad to jot down story ideas ... or shopping lists. Just tell me what is your favorite historical period and why?




Good Luck!
Cheryl.




Hi all, I’m Sandie Hudson, and I write Regency and Australian Historical romance. My love of history start with the stories my Dad would tell me about my ancestors. I’ve done extensive research into the lives of my ancestors and hope to one day be able to use that information in one of my novels.

Why write Regency? I love Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. I love the beauty of the era, the sense of romance, but most of all I love the heroes and heroines I’ve on the pages of many of my now favourite authors, including our own Anna Campbell, Anne Gracie and Elizabeth Rolls.

You can visit my website to find out more about the novels I’m working on as well as my heroes and heroines.

To help celebrate the last day of Historical Hearts launch week I’m offering a copy of Deanna Raybourn’s ‘Dark Road to Darjeeling’ and a heart shape trinket box. My question:

What was the smash hit Showtime TV series, Anne Gracie, novelized?



Good Luck!
Sandie.



Hi, I'm Maggi Andersen. I write sensual historical romance where dark-haired heroes meet their match in feisty heroines. Add a dash of adventure, a murder or two, a mystery or an intrigue. What better time to set them than the Georgian period. It offers so much for a writer.
When I think of the Regency era, Jane Austen and Mr. Darcy come to mind. While it’s certainly nice to think of Darcy – emerging from the lake with his wet shirt plastered to his broad chest for instance – the Georgian era offered much. It was a fascinating period in history, in which the French Revolution changed the world.
The Regency was a time of both opulence and abject poverty. Of economic and social change: the Napoleonic wars, the power struggle for the Americas, and the Industrial revolution when people began to desert the country and crowd into the cities.
Lord Byron became a celebrity with his dark romantic poetry, and Beau Brummell defined and shaped fashion into a period of simplistic elegance. Men abandoned brocades and lace for linen trousers, overcoats with breeches and boots, and women abandoned corsets for high wasted, thin gauzy dresses.
A spend-thrift aesthete known for his scandalous affairs, George IV, the Prince of Wales was made Regent in 1811after his father was declared too mad to rein. Prinnie presided over the elegant society of the ton, the so called upper ten thousand, who defined themselves by an incredibly formal etiquette code which set them apart from the rising middle class.
I delight in finding ways my characters can break those rules and not only get away with it, but live happily ever after. Together of course.


I am offering a choice of two of my books, either e-book or print, for the first to visit my website and name the title of my book coming in October to New Concepts Publishing.

Good Luck!
Maggi.




Note: For your chance to win today's prizes, when answering the trivia questions or replying, please leave your name, email address and what draw you'd like to enter. Of course, you are more than welcome to enter all prize draws up for grabs. Good Luck!


88 comments:

Dana said...

Two Georgians and two Regencies! What a day today will be! Good luck ladies! Enjoy the day!

Christina Brooke said...

What a lovely blog! Congrats, ladies! I'm looking forward to all the tidbits of information.

Cheryl I didn't know you were an interior designer. I'm so in awe of people who can put a beautiful room together, particularly now that I'm renovating my own house. I love Georgian and Regency style, too. Beautiful prizes. I hope they go to a good home!

Cheryl Leigh said...

Thanks, Dana! It's been a great week, hasn't it?

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Christina! *waving*

Lovely to see you here!! Thanks so much for dropping in!!

Blogging brings out all the dark secrets. ;-) Good luck with your renos! I'm in the same boat and will be glad when it's over.

Constantine Black and HEIRESS IN LOVE are still in my thoughts. Wonderful book!! I'll forgive you the dark circles under my eyes from staying up late into the night to read. :-)

Anna Campbell said...

Goodness me! This is becoming my home away from home. Hello, Bron, Cheryl, Maggi and Sandie! Congratulations on getting your blog up and running. And what wonderful prizes! Cheryl, I think you're right - the clothes ARE so important. ;-) And I so agree with you about Christina's Heiress in Love - wonderful book. I've read Mad About the Earl, the next one, and it's fabulous too.

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

I think we all agree that the Georgian and Regency eras are quite fascinating and never seem to grow stale. Some lovely prizes on offer. Good luck today ladies.

Annie Seaton said...

Lovely to see you all here on the last day of the launch. We had a blast yesterday!
Bronwyn, your fist memorable book was called "The Midwich Cuckoos" by John Wyndham. I loved it too!

Cheryl, I am looking forward to your ongoing snippets!

Maggi
I love Byronic heroes and romance poetry. Have a great day, gals!

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Anna! *waving madly*

Thank you for being so supportive of our new blog all this week! It means so much to us!

I think we all LOVE the clothes, no matter what period. :-)

I'm green that you get to read Christina's books first! I'm looking forward to reading MAD ABOUT THE EARL.

I can't wait for YOUR next book! You know how much I loved MIDNIGHT'S WILD PASSION! Ranelaw...sigh.

Thanks again for coming by.

Elizabeth Moss said...

What a marvellous array of prizes!

Best of luck with Historical Hearts: it looks like being a MASSIVE site for historical fiction lovers.

Ex

Anna Campbell said...

Awww, Cheryl, THANK YOU!!! As Maggi said, there's something irresistible about a Regency rake! Yeah, I clearly did something right somewhere to get rewarded with reading Christina's books first. She's such a lovely writer - and you'll LOVE the 'beastly' hero of Mad About the Earl.

Robin said...

Suzanne Enoch strikes a chord with me...

I like Regency England, I love the clothes and dances and beautiful homes.

The smash hit Showtime TV series Anne Gracie novelized is The Tudors.

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Cheryl Leigh said...

Elizabeth, thanks so much for dropping in! We sure love our history and romance here! ;-)

Bronwyn said...

Wow, the party started great today!

Christina and Anna, thanks so much for dropping by!! I hope you brough cabana boys with you to share with us!

Annie, thank you so much!! I kept thinking it was One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest but my man kept saying, no way, that's not it. At least now I know it had a cuckoo in it somewhere. That one has been playing on my mind but only when I'm away from a computer or driving and then I see something shiny and it's gone...

What was I talking about? =P

Well, TGIF, I hope we have some fun today and give away a heap of great prizes!

Bronwyn.

Helen said...

Hi Bronwyn

I have reading historical romance for many many years and I do remember the first one I read given to me by my Mum was Sweet Savage love by Rosemary Rogers and what a book it was I then went onto reading Johanna Lindsey Shirlee Busbee Samantha James and then Stephanie laurens and yes I soo love Anna Campbell's fantastic stories can't get enough of them LOL. I don't think I have ever read one of Candice Camp's although i have heard of them.

Cheryl

I really think that my favourite period is The Regency I just love the balls and country house parties and the clothes and of course The Rakes LOL

Sandie

I so love Anne Gracie's stories they are not put downable and the TV Series Anne novilies was The Tudors.

Hi Maggie

Is it Surrender to Destiny love the sound of this one

Congrats on the blog Ladies

Have Fun
Helen
rsibbrit@bigpond.net.au

Cheryl Leigh said...

Robin, there's so much to love about the Regency period, isn't there? I love the dances too!

Thanks so much for coming by! Good luck in the draw!

Cassandra Samuels said...

Hi ladies

Two of my favourite periods today, Georgian and Regency. You can't get much better than that.

More great prizes on offer to day. There are going to be some happy little vegemites out there come next week when the prizes are given away.

I can't believe it is day 5 of our launch party. It has gone so fast and been so much fun. I am so proud to be part of this blog with so many talented writers. It's been a great week.

Bronwyn said...

Cheryl, I wish we could win each other's prizes, I want anything with shoes in a shoe box that looks shoey =)

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Cassandra! Thanks for popping in! The week has gone so quickly but it's been huge fun!

And I am overdosing on exclamation points today!!

Cheryl Leigh said...

Anna, Christina has a 'beastly' hero in her next book? Sounds delish!!

Between 'beastly' heroes and your rakes, I'm in heaven. ;-)

Cheryl Leigh said...

LOL, Bron! I'll swap you a critique for shoes. Just kidding. :-) I love these note cards too - the shoes are so pretty. There are so many great prizes to be won this week!

Cheryl Leigh said...

Christine Stinson (whose book IT TAKES A VILLAGE is wonderful!) is having trouble getting into the blog, so I'm posting her message for her.

"To go into the draw for the fabulous shoebox of note pages, my favourite period is Regency. I'm a sucker for Heyer's 26 Regency novels (actually, I love all her historicals no matter what the period!). The grace, the manners, the gorgeous clothes and mansions of the 'idle rich' upper class are endlessly fascinating, as is the 'underbelly' of the Regency period, the seething mass of humanity and the stark contrast between the classes. But setting all of that aside, who could resist Beau Brummel in his heyday?

Hope you have lots of visitors to your blog today!"

Kelly Ethan said...

Wow last day already. How quickly has that gone?

Miss Bron, don't pick me for your contest lol. But my fav chord striking author would be.. Actually there are a few. I love David Weber (space opera) Gail Carriger, Meljean Brooks. But my three best favs are Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews and Stephanie Laurens. And miss Bronwyn Stuart xxx

Cheryl. I have a friend *cough Bron* who is obsessed with shoes ;) My fav time period HAS to be regency. I love the clothing, the culture...the men lol. The whole time period resonates with me ;)

Sandie *waving madly* Congrats on the launch! And in answer to your Q Anne Gracie novelized The Tudors.

Maggi your new book coming out is called Hostage to Fortune. Which is a perfect title for a historical novel lol. Love it.

Congrats ladies on an amazing launch. I look forward to popping in often ;)

Bronwyn said...

I just brought two hatboxes that have shoes on them. They were so cute, I couldn't leave them in the shop. Now I just need some hats...

Cheryl Leigh said...

Fabulous reply, Chris! Georgette Heyer created such a marvellous world! And Beau Brummel was such a fascinating character, though I felt sad for the way his life ended.

Thanks so much for trying to get into the blog. I'm sorry you had so much trouble!

Elle Fynllay said...

Hi Bronwyn, Cheryl. Maggi and Sandie,
We should have made it possible to win each other's prizes :( . Hope you are having a great day.
Bronwyn, I so love all the same authors as you. Elizabeth Lowell and Johanna Lindsey's medieval tales are probably the reason I write in the period that I do.
Party On Girls !

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hee hee, you make me laugh, Bron. The cards I'm giving away also come with hats as a design. :-)

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Elle! LOL! Thanks for popping in. :-)

Bronwyn said...

Hi Elle, thanks for coming! I love Elizabeth Lowell too! So many great authors and so little time to read them all! Have you tried Sarah MacLean? Her Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake is awesome!

Cheryl Leigh said...

Helen, thanks so much for dropping in. You have been so supportive of our new blog this week!

I think there are many Regency fans here!! The country house parties are such fun, aren't they?

Good luck in the draw!

Bronwyn said...

I love you Kelly!! (not in a weird spasm of love way though =P )

Cheryl Leigh said...

Kelly, thanks so much for coming by!

Regency fans galore here this week! There's much to love about that period, isn't there?

Bronwyn said...

I'm getting messages out of order...

Helen, Candace Camp's novels first struck me because she has a great way with humour. And then I just couldn't stop. I had to have them all! Hopefully, I pull your name out of the hat so you can try her on for size =)

I lurve Anna Campbell's (as she well knows) and Christina's (and Christine Wells) are now lining my shelves alongside Anna's. I'm going to need to open a library soon...

Bronwyn said...

Also, the critique is still going begging since I don't have a link to buy the cuckoo book...

Annie said...

The Village of the Damned was a funny little sci-fi book called The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham ... You can buy it here ... I just snapped me up a copy :) http://www.amazon.com/The-Midwich-Cuckoos-ebook/dp/B003NHRDNO

xx

Annie said...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Midwich-Cuckoos-ebook/dp/B003NHRDNO ... The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham. I just bought a copy!! xx

Bronwyn said...

Thanks Annie! Providing you're not our Annie (I can't tell), if you want the critique, send me an email? bronwynstuart2001@yahoo.com.au

Woohoo!! Time to burn the credit card again!

Kelly Ethan said...

Bronwyn Stuart put that credit card away...naughty!!!

Kelly

Bronwyn said...

Lol, you can talk, Kelly!! You have your book stockist on speed dial! I'm going to go with the Kindle version. Easier to hide my purchases that way...

Bronwyn said...

PS, I just got a message from Candace Camp =))) Guess who's a happy chicky now! I'm waiting to see if she'll let me post the comment.

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

Hi Anna, thanks for dropping by. Yes, the Regency alpha male does make the heart beat a little faster. So commanding...sigh.
Helen, Surrender to Destiny is published. I am offering it as part of the prize.
Thanks for visiting Cassandra!
Hi Ellie!
Kelly you guessed it! Congrats!

Christina Phillips said...

What a fabulous final day for our launch party! Bronwyn, I haven't read the book but I saw that movie when I was a child and it scared the stuffing out of me! I think I must have watched the original as I don't remember Nicole Kidman!

Cheryl, I absolutely adore the Georgian buildings and furniture. It really was a gorgeously elegant era!

Hi Sandie, it would be amazing to use all the research you've done on your family history in one of your books!

Hi Maggi, thank you for the lovely reminder of Darcy emerging from the lake!! That always helps to make my day better :-)

J.M. Powers said...

The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham. That was driving me crazy, Bronwyn Stuart-so I googled it. I love all historical romances, but Hannah Howell strikes a chord in me. Just love her highlander series.

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Christina! Lovely to see you here!

I'm laughing at your comment *scared the stuffing out of me.* I felt the same after watching Psycho (the original). I was sixteen and couldn't sleep for two weeks!!

Bronwyn said...

haha, Christine, it was a pretty scary movie! Maybe I'll have to look up the original.

Bronwyn said...

The only horror movie I ever lost sleep over was the movie of Stephen King's It. *Shudder* never again!

Kelly Ethan said...

He He Maggi Thanks ;) As Bron will tell you. I love these types of contests and I love supporting other writers. And combining the two is always a pleasure.

Kelly

Bronwyn said...

Thanks JM =) Hopefully I can find the time to reread it soon.

I can feel my list of authors to buy getting bigger by the comment!

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

The Duke of Vale in my Regency Rules of Conduct likes a dip in the lake. A very nice scene follows, which was a pleasure to write, lol.

Sandie Hudson said...

WOW, this place has gone crazy. What a surprise I'm running late to leave a comment.

Thank you everyone for supporting our blog.

Huge congratualtions must go to Tamara Gill for getting this up and running for us, she is our Blog Goddess.

Sandie

Cheryl Leigh said...

Absolutely, Sandie. Tam is AMAZING !!!!!!

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

Yes, three cheers for Tam. I am in awe - you have so much on your plate.

Anonymous said...

This week has been terrific fun, and I've enjoyed every blog post. Congratulations, and may there be many more! SANDIE: Anne Gracie novelised The Tudors.
Malvina

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Malvina. Thanks so much for visiting! Glad you had fun! We have some great posts planned for the future, so stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

I love Georgian architecture, Cheryl. And I saw some wonderful examples on my recent travels in New England. Not the first style that comes to mind when you think of New England, but that's history for you! Always surprising!
Cheers,

Jan

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Jan!! Lovely to see you here! Thanks so much for dropping in. :-)

Georgian architecture is gorgeous, isn't it? We have a fan light over our front door, which I just love.

I've never been to New England. Must put that on the list!

Bronwyn said...

Okay, so here is Candace Camp's comment that came to me via another site because she couldn't comment here... And no I'm not making this up =)

'I was very pleased to read that you've enjoyed reading my books. Thought I'd comment on your topic and tell you that the first book I remember really, really liking was The Three Musketeers. It was a children's edition of it and I am sure it was abridged, but I absolutely loved it. I've always been a sucker for swashbucklers, obviously. Good luck with your website!'

Fangirl moment there. I nearly swooned!

Kandy Shepherd said...

Hi Historical Hearts bloggers--congratulations on the new bog. I've so enjoyed reading all your posts. Though I don't write historicals, I sure love reading them!
Cheryl, congratulations on losing your blog virginity. I trust it was as exciting and exhilarating as a love scene from an Anna Campbell book!
I have to join the chorus of people who like the Regency era as a setting. It was such an elegant time in architecture, design and fashion. Also, there is still so much of Regency England still existing for us to believe we can close our eyes and be there.
When I got engaged we went to an antique jewellery shop and my husband chose a ring that wasn't what I would have chosen at all. He slipped it on my finger and it fitted perfectly. With the intricate carving on the back it couldn't have been resized for anyone since its Regency origins. Who knows who wore it first? But I feel a personal connection to the Regency women who populate some of my favourite books!
Hope the blog is a huge success!

Cheryl Leigh said...

Lovely, Bron!! I can hear you squeeing from here. :)

I loved the Three Musketeers too. The trailer for the latest movie looks great. Terrific cast and it looks such fun.
http://youtu.be/mQd3MwT2fAM

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Kandy! *waving*

It's great to see you here! Thanks so much for dropping in!!

LOL, nothing could be as exhilarating as one of Anna's love scenes. :-)

That is such a beautiful story about your ring!! I'm intrigued, too, to know who owned it before. Hmm, my writer's mind is ticking. ;)

And congratulations on your WONDERFUL book, THE CASTAWAY BRIDE. I'm so glad it's out there for everyone to enjoy!

Bronwyn said...

I just had a serious hand clapping moment then! I hadn't seen anything about this! Looks a little steampunky (I sure hope so!!!)

Vanessa Barneveld said...

Congratulations, Historical Hearts, on a gorgeous new blog! I'm looking forward to more great posts from you all.

Cheryl, it's lovely to see you making a big splash in the blogsphere at last! There are a couple of 20th-century decades I'd like to visit -- the '20s for Art Deco design and the '50s for the gowns. The gowns! :) But to go further back, I would have to chime in and say the Regency era.

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Vanessa! *waving madly*

It's wonderful to see you here! Thanks so much for visiting!!

LOL, I'm managing to keep my head above water. ;-)

Ooh, Art Deco is fabulous! It's getting harder to find buildings still in that style, but they are out there if you know where to look.

And we all love gowns here, no matter the era!

Tamara Gill said...

Congratulations ladies on a wonderful week and final launch day!!! What fun we've had.

Good luck to all the guests who are eligable for the prizes. You'll love everything that's coming your way.

Tam xxx

Vanessa Barneveld said...

Cheryl, I heard Brisbane used to be one of THE places to see great Art Deco architecture, but sadly most of the great examples of it were demolished by the notorious Deen brothers.

Cheryl Leigh said...

Vanessa, that's the problem with our country. We demolish so many historic buildings. :(

Kelly Ethan said...

SQUEEEEEEEE Bron. The Historical hearts blog fame is spreading far and wide. Congrats!

Kelly

Allison Butler said...

Happy HH Blog Launch Day 5:)

Bronwyn,
Like you, my reading pile and keeper shelf are loaded with more historicals than any other genre. Must be because I love being swept away into the past - any time period will do:)

Cheryl,
Your Historical, Adventure Romances sound like my kind of read:) Love the picture you've painted with your gorgeous description of the Georgian period:)

Sandie,
How wonderful that your Dad inspired your love of history. Good luck using your family history in one of your future stories:)

Maggi,
Your stories sound wonderful. Love that you 'delight' in finding ways for your characters to break the rules, but ensure they live Happily Ever After:)

Have a great day:)

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Tam and Alli! Thanks for swinging by! I think we've all had such fun at this launch. :-)

Alison Stuart said...

Hello Day 5 girls!!! Sorry I have been out all day and hadn't had time to visit earlier

I am taking wagers that we shall soon see another Ms. Stuart in print. Bronwyn - that would be you! If you've read anything she's written you'll know that there is a good reason she is doing so well in the contest circuit. Fingers Crossed.

Cheryl...no prizes for guessing my favourite period of history!

Maggi...your new novel SURRENDER TO DESTINY sounds fascinating. How do you twine 3 such different plot lines together?

So this is the last day. It's been great fun! Thank you to everyone who has stopped in for a chat.

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

Thanks Allison, thanks for stopping by. My characters generally take over. I'm not nearly as adventurous and brave as they.

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

Hi Alison, I enjoy placing my characters in almost impossible situations. But then I have to tie all the strands up at the end and that can test my imagination.

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Alison, oh, let me guess ... English Civil War? *wink*

Thanks for dropping in!

Bronwyn said...

Awww, Alison! Thank you! Mwah =)

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

Kelly Ethan is the winner of my two books! Congrats Kelly!

Kelly Ethan said...

wahoo! I mean thank you ;) If you need my addy Miss Bron has it ;)

Thank you all ladies for a fantatsic week. And I look forward to dropping again.

Kelly Ethan

Kelly Ethan said...

Whoops. Might need my email *blush*

kelly @kelly ethan.com (delete spaces)

Kelly

Sandie Hudson said...

Sorry all, I've been out on and off today with my hubby at doctor appointments.

How busy have you all been on here? It is wonderful to see so many people stop by to help us celebrate the launch of Historical Hearts.

The winner of Deanna Raybourn’s novel and the trinket box is Robin. Robin I’ll email you for your address and send it off next week to you.

I hope you will all continue to visit Historical Hearts as I know there is sure to be something interesting happening every week.

Sandie

Catherine said...

Hello girls, and congratulations on launching your blog! Sorry i'm late stopping by - been organizing my daughter's wedding - in a castle in England no less! (becasue she's a princess), so since I'm feeling in a regal mood, I'm agreeing with you, Cheryl, the Georgian era is my favourite historical time. Mostly because of the architecture than anything else. However, i do have to comment on that gorgeously sumptious gown ont he cover of Candace Camp's Scandalous - yummy!

Eleni Konstantine said...

OMGoodness, what a day you are having ladies.

Hi Bronwyn!!

First author that struck a cord with me to get me writing was Jennifer Roberson with her dynasty fantasy series, The Chronicles of the Cheysuli. I thought I want to write like that!


Cheryl, the Georgina period is definitely a fascinating period and the underbelly of society is fascinating as well as the glamourous side.

Sandie!!! You know I have yet to read a Georgette Heyer book? I know, but I have read your other favorites - Anna, Anne and Elizabeth. Great stuff from our Aussie writers.

Hi Maggie, I find Byron interesting overall but also because I could just make out graffiti he made on Posiedon's temple in Souneou, Greece. He also fought for Greek independence from the Ottoman Empire. Good luck with your upcoming release!

MAGGI ANDERSEN said...

Hi Eleni and thanks for visiting. I can imagine Byron doing that! I'd love to see it.

Kelly Ethan said...

Eleni!!! You have never read Heyer? Oh the inhumanity of it all ;)

Kelly Ethan

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Catherine!!

Congratulations and all the best for your daughter's wedding! Having an English castle as the venue would be simply gorgeous. I'm sure she will look like a princess on the day!

Thanks so much for popping in. :-)

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Eleni. How lucky you are to have seen Byron's graffiti! I wonder if it will still be there if I ever get to Greece. LOL.

Thanks so much for visiting!

Cheryl Leigh said...

The winner of the Metropolitan Museum of Art note cards, and the note pad is...

HELEN

Congratulations, Helen! I'll email you for your address.

Bronwyn said...

Must be something about double prize winners from Friday because, Helen, you won mine too!! Kids had a great time with the names in my best winter hat!

Congrats and I'll be in contact =)

Bronwyn.

Cathleen Ross said...

Hi Cheryl
Great to see you part of such a good site. I'm still stuck on Tudors and can't read enough of them but I was really enjoying your Georgian period. It's time to get it finished and out there.
Best
Cathleen

Cheryl Leigh said...

Hi Cathleen,

Lovely to see you here!

Everyone, Cathleen has just published, HIGHLANDER, an erotic historical novella. Maybe we'll sway her over to historicals for good. ;-)

Thanks so much for visiting, Cathleen!

Cathleen Ross said...

I'd love to write historicals but I'd need lessons from the real historical writers like you girls. A reviewer called Highlander a modern take on a historical. Still loved writing it though. Fantasy Scottish men in kilts, Regency rakes, Georgian heroes. I love them all.