Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Scandal and Steroetypes



My very first historical novel Scandal's Mistress came out two weeks ago and so far I've been too busy to shamelessly self-promote. That's what this post is for!


Here's a taste and then I'll get to the ideas and stereotypes that made the book possible.


London, 1805

Justin Trentham, third son of the Earl of Billington, is determined to get himself disowned from his cold and unloving family. Despite his numerous affairs with questionable women of the ton, his parents continue to be dismissive of his ploys, but Justin spots the perfect scandal in the form of a beautiful, exotic Italian opera singer...

Carmalina Belluccini refuses to become his mistress, despite being tempted by his charms. But after losing her singing voice, she finds herself destitute. She agrees to be Justin's mistress for one month, until she has enough money to return to her beloved Italy.
She intends to keep their arrangement strictly business, but after witnessing Justin's vulnerable side, she finds herself falling more in love than in lust with him. Carmalina is having second thoughts about leaving England...but is their love strong enough to survive the scandal of the season?


I often get asked where I came up with the idea for Scandal's Mistress and I have to tell them I honestly can't remember. I do know that for a long time I have abhorred stereotypes be it person, time or thing and I love to step up on my soapbox and pooh, pooh those who like to put things in the square and refuse to see anything outside it. That's probably where the idea came from. Just because Carmalina is an Opera Singer, it does not make her a prostitute. Just because most of the women who trod the boards were, doesn't mean they all were. Right? Are you getting cranky alongside me here?

But since there are certain factual guidelines we have to follow when writing Regency, I had to make my Opera Singer different from the rest. Just because I feel as though not all singers were sluts, doesn't mean I can crack the mold and say it wasn't so. So I made Carmalina an Italian Opera Singer. Things were different in Italy. Then I stranded her in England and made her voice scratchy from the cold and soot. That's when things got really hard for her and she had to figure out where her next meal was going to come from if she couldn't sing for her supper. Enter Justin Trentham. The season's bad boy and scandal king. You'll have to read the story to see what happens next. I can tell you it has a twist you (hopefully) won't see coming and you may or may not cry (just a little bit).

Enjoy and thanks for popping by!       

Buy from Carina Press, Amazon, B&N, All Romance Ebooks and most etailers.